St Cross Building, Oxford University - English & Law Faculties
The Grade II* listed St Cross Building in Oxford designed originally by Sir Leslie Martin with Sir Colin St John Wilson between 1958-62 is home to the Oxford University English and Law Faculties.
PRS have been appointed since 2008 to carry out the redevelopment of the entire building through various phases to ensure that the two faculties can expand and adapt to modern technology and contemporary teaching methods.
Phase 1 and 2 allowed the Law Faculty to receive a new administrative centre as well as a ‘Moot’ Court room for carrying out mock trials. This now very successful and versatile space allows for Harvard style methods of lecturing to be housed within the heritage space that was the Statistics Library.
Phase 3 was completed in 2016 and involved the creation of a new English reception and administrative centre, a revitalised heart to the building including break out spaces and a cafeteria, a new Institute of European Comparative Law as well as the adaptation of the Bodleian Law Library to suit the needs of its ever expanding collection.
All of these works have been achieved through working closely with English Heritage in the development and acceptance of a Conservation Management Plan for the building as a whole. This was essential in allowing an understanding of the buildings significance both on a local and national level.