Bodleian Law Library, English & Law Faculties at the St Cross Building, Oxford University
The Grade II* listed St Cross Building in Oxford designed originally by Sir Leslie Martin with Sir Colin St John Wilson between 1958-62 is home to the Bodleian Law Library as well as the Oxford University English and Law Faculties.
PRS have been appointed since 2008 to carry out the redevelopment of the entire building through various phases to ensure that the Law Library, its archive and the two faculties have expanded and improved storage, adapt to modern technology as well as spaces to suit contemporary teaching methods.
Phase 1 and 2 allowed the Law Faculty to receive a new administrative centre as well as a ‘Moot’ Court room for carrying out mock trials. This now very successful and versatile space allows for Harvard style methods of lecturing to be housed within the heritage space that was the Statistics Library.
Phase 3 was completed in 2016 and involved the adaptation of the Bodleian Law Library to suit the needs of its ever expanding collection. The creation of a new English reception and administrative centre; revitalisation of the heart to the building including break out spaces and a cafeteria as well as the insertion of a new area for the Institute of European Comparative Law.
All of these works have been achieved through working closely with Historic England in the development and acceptance of a Conservation Management Plan for the building as a whole. This was essential in allowing an understanding of the buildings significance both on a local and national level.